Food is one of my favourite things around Christmas time, I get so excited to cook different meals and stuff my face with delicious festive treats. I had an idea a while ago to do a #FestiveFoodFriday post for the three Friday’s leading up to Christmas Day. I thought for ages about how I could make it work and if it would make sense. I finally came up with an idea that I loved and knew I could make work.
I have decided to base each Friday on a course of the meal I’ll be having on Christmas Day. The first week will be my favourite starter recipe, then a main recipe and finally a desert. That way I can refer back to the recipes on Christmas Day and I hope you can enjoy them too!
*I am not a professional cook by any means, I just enjoy playing around with food and hosting a dinner party!*
My first #FestiveFoodFriday recipe is a very easy ‘Posh Prawn Cocktail’.
Every year my family and I have a prawn cocktail as starter and I’ve played a little twist on its this year to make it a little more fun and festive. I hope you enjoy it too!…
(Easy) Posh Prawn Cocktail
You will need:
- Festive table set up (optional)
- Chopping board
- Small star cookie cutter
- Spoon or squeeze bottle for sauce
- Ready to eat prawns – I did 6 prawns per person (more if desired)
- Seafood sticks – 1 per person (more if desired)
- Baby gem lettuce – the leaves are the perfect small size
- Cucumber – 1, sliced
- Rocket salad leaves – A small handful per person
- Spring onion – 1 per person, thinly sliced
- Avocado – 1 slice per person (more if desired)
- Croutons – A small handful (3/4) per person
- Fresh dill – Small garnish
- Fresh chives – Finely chopped, garnish
- Lemon – 1 wedge per person
- Seafood sauce – 1 jar
- Paprika – A pinch over the top at the end
- Firstly, prepare all your salad ingredients by chopping and washing them.
- Once you have sliced you cucumber, lay down the pieces singly and press the star cutter into each slice so that you have your small cucumber stars.
- Pull apart your seafood sticks into thin strips.
- Wash your prawns and have them ready to plate.
- Now you can start to assemble your plate. I find this bit the most fun, you can get creative and have some fun with it!
- I started with the lettuce cups and played 2 on each plate, fill them with the rocket leaves, avocado and spring onions.
- Then lay on top the strips of seafood sticks so that they lay nicely on top.
- Next add on the cucumber stars and the prawns in a line.
- Then, sprinkle over the chives and add croutons.
- Now you can add on your sauce and place one sprig of dill on each cup.
- Add your lemon wedge on top, and lightly dust with the paprika.
You can now sit back and enjoy your ‘posh’ prawn cocktail!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, I can’t wait to share next weeks with you! If you want to give this recipe a go, don’t forget to let me know and use the hashtag #FestiveFoodFriday. I’d love to see your festive food creations!
See you tomorrow,
Love, Abby x